HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
Healthy Weight and Your Child empowers 7-13 year olds, with the support of their families, to reach a healthy weight and live a healthier lifestyle.
It is adapted from the most widely disseminated and extensively evaluated child weight management program in the world. The family-based program emphasizes three elements: healthy eating, regular physical activity, and behavior change to achieve a positive life-long lifestyle transformation.
Healthy Weight and Your Child creates a safe, fun, and active environment for children and their families to explore and adopt proven methods to achieving and retaining a healthy weight. Groups of 10 to 15 children and an adult from each child’s family meet twice a week for four months, for a total of 25 sessions.
Each session includes safe physical activities and family education on such topics as:
- Healthy eating
- Physical activity
- Portion control
- Internal and external triggers
- Food label reading
- Goal setting and rewards
Four follow-up sessions incorporating fun family activities such as hikes, beach trips and other outings are offered on weekends throughout the year.
Evidence shows that child weight-management programs are more effective when the whole family is involved and committed to adopting healthier habits. For this reason, the attendance of at least one adult responsible for each child is required at all sessions.
TO QUALIFY, A CHILD MUST:
- Be 7-13 years old
- Carry excess weight, with a body mass index of the 95th percentile or higher
- Receive clearance from a healthcare provider or school nurse to participate in physical activity
- Have a parent/guardian attend ALL sessions
- $80/family for the 4 month program
- Includes $25 gift card given out at Grocery Store Tour with healthy recipes Scholarship and Financial assistance available to those who qualify
- Monthly payment plans available
PROGRAM SESSION STRUCTURE:
SERVICE LOCATION & DATES
All Saints Episcopal Church – Kapaa (begins January 17, 2018)
To refer patients please complete and fax downloadable Physician Referral Form (below) to 808-664-8821.
For more information, please contact the program coordinator Noel Gibeau at (808) 548-0951.